Wednesday 6 January 2010

The bleak midwinter...

I returned to a deeply snow-covered Hamburg very early last Sunday and it has snowed every day since...the days are bitingly cold and due to my working hours I never see my home bathed in daylight during the week...

I live a peacefully quiet life during the week outside work, taking ample time with everything I do given that I have no means of computer and hence, internet entertainment. Without such means to kill my time it only sparks up the creative juices within me and I often find myself sketching Einstein the cat or the house itself interspersed with reading and listening to music in lowly-lit rooms. It's quite introspective but at the very least I'm reigniting what I used to do all the time - freehand observational DRAWING.

Work has been quite busy even in the first few days back and I've clamped down on wasting time on the internet allowing me to focus on every task I do...a new year's resolution perhaps? I've just completed a 1:20 model of a bathroom for a private house (even including tap fixtures!); the qualities of the space are driven by principles of feng-shui, which is integrated into architectural philosophy of the practice as championed by Anna, the boss's wife. So, my plan is to fully apply myself at work during the rest of my stay here...and play hard when the time comes...

No comments:

Post a Comment