Thursday 22 October 2009

Hamburg initiation

It's been a over a week since I've landed in good ol' Deutschland and I have to say that if half of my time here lives up to the past 7 or 8 days then I'm in for an absolute treat.

Freitag 16. Oktober 2009 - Pub Crawl on the Reeperbahn with globetrotters

Without going into too much detail I can safely say that meeting fellow globetrotters, all marking out their own paths, gives you an enlightening insight into the diversity in this world. One can only be inspired to do the same and experience the essence of different places. My decision to move to Hamburg for this year has only whetted my appetite for future journeys.

Dienstag 20. Oktober 2009 - lunch on the beach

Besides having Bavarian white sausage and a pretzel on the beach watching cargo ships drift into the harbour on a chilly, but sunny autumn day and scoring perhaps one of the best goals of my footballing career (refer to Paul Gascoigne's goal against Scotland in Euro '96...yes I kid you not), working at this humble practice and living the lifestyle my employers soothes my soul immensely.

Dienstag 20. Oktober 2009 - view from the office, afternoon sun on Blankenese

The design philosophy and interests of the practice seem to align with my own at this minute; I have been exploring patterns and organic themes for a private house which reference traditional and contemporary solutions (Victor Horta, Hector Guimard and indeed Herzog & de Meuron to name a few), in addition to sketching out different options for another private house further west of Hamburg city.

My ability to speak German has accelerated exponentially and I couldn't have asked for more stimulation in being plunged into the deep end - a reawakening of an old flame if you will...

I'm moving into a family house next week owned by a university tutor and a professional photographer who are incidentally, clients of the architects I work for. It's all about the connections...but hopefully I can move into the district of Hamburg renowned for its' nightlife and alternative scene with fellow German peers.

Bis nächstes Mal!

Tschüss!

2 comments:

  1. Mate - Congratulations once again!
    Glad you've got a blog going on. Sadly, nothing will compare to the goals i score on FIFA!!! (without you JR DEFO can't beat me now!)

    Do keep us posted with your adventures and be sure to let us know when a visit in the NY can be scheduled!

    all the best buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your adventure is really beginning to take form, isn't it? I am happy that you speak with so much vigour, with such in-depth pensiveness, over Bavarian sausage and a pretzel.

    Really sounds like you know what you're doing with the organic themes and work. Impressive!

    I know how you feel about consolidating your knowledge of the German tongue through practice- it instills a newfound sense of confidence into your mental and physical wellbeing. Have you had a verbal slandering match with anyone yet? :P

    And congrats on finding accmmdtn. Take photos of the beautiful view okay :) and scan in the lomo photos if you get the chance.

    S.


    PS- sorry about removed post, there were some typos I had to rectify.

    ReplyDelete