Friday 23 October 2009

Denglisch

I woke up this morning almost choking on my own phlegm...trying to fend off this Hamburg winter cold...the honeymoon period is over it seems...

Last night I met up with a friend, Chrissie who I met on Saturday night, to have a small bite to eat and a quiet drink at one of the bars in Sternschanze, the eccentric district of Hamburg (Soho-like but more rugged). I knew I was coming down with something but a chicken red thai curry soup coupled with a green tea did its best to ease the symptoms.

My approach here thus far was and is to speak as much German as possible, despite it sapping the life out of me once dusk arrives. Chrissie lived in London for a year and then in Sydney for another year so her English is very fluent - in fact she has an Austalian accent (?!); her boyfriend came along later to sort out a new flat they're looking to move into. She has been so useful (and nice at that) in that she corrects my German as soon as I make a mistake and it's exactly what I need, especially when during the day, there is often not the time to discuss the correct way to say things in German. It has been easier to talk to people with a relaxed state of mind as the words and sentence structures seem to flow more naturally...at work I'm bogged down with not knowing the technical lingo required to explain my ideas...soon though, soon I'll be fluent in the office.

Anyways, must return to whipping up a few more ideas on paper for this patterned wall before the boss comes back. How can you find a solution when the canvas is blank and there seems to be no constraints? Eek :S

No comments:

Post a Comment