Tuesday 1 December 2009

Moving on up

After the disappointment of not securing the ideal flat last week, things have definitely taken a turn for the better...last Friday I managed to find a new room in a cosy house with two (albeit older) people. I just moved in yesterday and I couldn't help but have a cheesy grin on my face when I finally closed the door on a difficult initial tenancy at the family house...

Everything seemed to fall into place following the acquisition; I went to Berlin for the weekend via a "Mitfahr" (literally meaning "ride share"), in which a driver offers the spare seats in his/her car to those wanting to travel to the same destination - it makes so much sense environmentally, that I don't know why something like this exists in the UK. You definitely meet some interesting people along the way...

I met up with two friends from architecture, one who works in Berlin and one coming from London for a weekend rife with banter and shenanigans...we visited a number of well-known pieces of architecture (a particular highlight was David Chipperfield's Neues Museum, which is quite simply stunning) as well as check out some of the bars which make Berlin so unique (there was a game of table tennis in the middle of a bar called Dr Pong, in which people played a game of elimination, much like musical chairs, until the last two slugged it out for bragging rights). To cap an entire Saturday of sightseeing off we went up the Fernsehturm to have a cocktail gazing over the illuminated city, was quite sublime...

We also hit one of the big clubs in Berlin called Watergate - minimal techno, LED lights wrappnig around the ceiling and walls and a panoramic view of the river, need I say more? On Sunday we went for a stroll along the famous East Side Gallery and did a spot of perusing at a local flea market. Just what I needed after a month of trying to find another place to live...

Lomo pictures to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment